No Subject

Ulrik Vieth vieth@thphy.uni-duesseldorf.de
Mon Mar 01 12:49:50 1999

Here's the list from textcomp.mtx:

\unfakable{capitalgrave}                % 8r,8y
\unfakable{capitalacute}                % 8r,8y
\unfakable{capitalcircumflex}           % 8r,8y
\unfakable{capitaltilde}                % 8r,8y
\unfakable{capitaldieresis}             % 8r,8y
\unfakable{capitalhungarumlaut}         % 8r,8y
\unfakable{capitalring}                 % 8r,8y
\unfakable{capitalcaron}                % 8r,8y
\unfakable{capitalbreve}                % 8r,8y
\unfakable{capitalmacron}               % 8r,8y
\unfakable{capitaldotaccent}            % 8r,8y
\unfakable{capitalcedilla}              % 8r,8y
\unfakable{capitalogonek}               % 8r,8y

These are ususally replaced by normal accents, so no problem.

\unfakable{quotesinglbase}              % 8r,8y
\unfakable{quotedblbase}                % 8r,8y

\unfakable{twelveudash}                 % faked 8r,8y
\unfakable{threequartersemdash}         % faked 8r,8y or 8x

Faking a twelveudash and a threequatersemdash by overlaying
two hyphen characters IMHO seems like a legitimate approach.

\unfakable{arrowleft}
\unfakable{arrowright}
\unfakable{arrowup}
\unfakable{arrowdown}

\unfakable{tieaccentlowercase}
\unfakable{tieaccentcapital}
\unfakable{newtieaccentlowercase}
\unfakable{newtieaccentcapital}

\unfakable{blank}

These would all have to go away, I suppose.

\unfakable{dollar}                      % 8r,8y
\unfakable{quotesingle}                 % 8r,8y
\unfakable{asteriskcentered}            % faked 8r,8y
\unfakable{comma}                       % 8r,8y

No problem.

\unfakable{hyphendbl}
\unfakable{hyphendblchar}

Could hyphendbl be replacable by a normal hyphen?

\unfakable{period}                      % 8r,8y
\unfakable{fraction}                    % 8r,8y
\unfakable{minus}                       % 8r,8y

\unfakable{angbracketleft}
\unfakable{angbracketright}

To go, I suppose, unless you take them from a symbol font.

\unfakable{openbracketleft}             % faked 8r,8y
\unfakable{openbracketright}            % faked 8r,8y

Faking those by overlapping two brackets depends on the font
characteristics and is likely to produce poor results,
so perhaps better to get rid of them?

\unfakable{bigcircle}

To go away?

\unfakable{Omegainv}
\unfakable{Omega}
\unfakable{radical}

These might exist in some 8m (Mac-encoded) fonts, but are
unacessible when building virtualfonts on top of 8r or 8y,
so there's no way to get them even if they exist.

\unfakable{asciigrave}                  % 8r,8y
\unfakable{asciibreve}                  % 8r,8y
\unfakable{asciicaron}                  % 8r,8y
\unfakable{asciiacutedbl}               % faked 8r,8y
\unfakable{asciigravedbl}               % faked 8r,8y
\unfakable{tildelow}                    % 8r,8y

Not sure if faking those by normal accents is the proper way.

\unfakable{born}
\unfakable{divorced}
\unfakable{died}
\unfakable{leaf}
\unfakable{married}
\unfakable{musicalnote}

These would most definitely have to go away.

\unfakable{dagger}                      % 8r,8y
\unfakable{daggerdbl}                   % 8r,8y
\unfakable{bardbl}                      % faked 8r,8y

Not sure what I did here (and why).

\unfakable{perthousand}                 % 8r,8y
\unfakable{bullet}                      % 8r,8y
\unfakable{centigrade}                  % faked 8r,8y

This is trival to fake using `degree' and `C'.

\unfakable{dollaroldstyle}              % 8x (Adobe)
\unfakable{centoldstyle}                % 8x (Adobe)
\unfakable{florin}                      % 8r,8y
\unfakable{colonmonetary}               % 8x (Adobe)

So far, so good.

\unfakable{won}
\unfakable{naira}
\unfakable{guarani}
\unfakable{peso}
\unfakable{lira}                        % 8x (URW)
\unfakable{recipe}
\unfakable{interrobang}
\unfakable{interrobangdown}
\unfakable{dong}

These are missing almost everywhere, so rather pointless,

\unfakable{trademark}                   % 8r,8y
\unfakable{pertenthousand}              % faked 8x

Faking pertenthousand using perthousand and zeroinferior
doesn't guarantee a reasonable result, so better don't try.

\unfakable{pilcrow}
\unfakable{baht}
\unfakable{numero}
\unfakable{discount}
\unfakable{estimated}
\unfakable{openbullet}
\unfakable{servicemark}
\unfakable{quillbracketleft}
\unfakable{quillbracketright}

These are missing almost everywhere, so rather pointless.

\unfakable{cent}                        % 8r,8y
\unfakable{sterling}                    % 8r,8y
\unfakable{currency}                    % 8r,8y
\unfakable{yen}                         % 8r,8y
\unfakable{brokenbar}                   % 8r,8y
\unfakable{section}                     % 8r,8y
\unfakable{asciidieresis}               % 8r,8y
\unfakable{copyright}                   % 8r,8y
\unfakable{ordfeminine}                 % 8r,8y
\unfakable{copyleft}

To go.

\unfakable{logicalnot}                  % 8r,8y
\unfakable{circledP}

To go.

\unfakable{registered}                  % 8r,8y
\unfakable{asciimacron}                 % 8r,8y
\unfakable{degree}                      % 8r,8y
\unfakable{plusminus}                   % 8r,8y
\unfakable{twosuperior}                 % 8r,8y
\unfakable{threesuperior}               % 8r,8y
\unfakable{asciiacute}                  % 8r,8y
\unfakable{mu}                          % 8r,8y
\unfakable{paragraph}                   % 8r,8y
\unfakable{periodcentered}              % 8r,8y
\unfakable{referencemark}

To go.

\unfakable{onesuperior}                 % 8r,8y
\unfakable{ordmasculine}                % 8r,8y
\unfakable{onequarter}                  % 8r,8y
\unfakable{onehalf}                     % 8r,8y
\unfakable{threequarters}               % 8r,8y
\unfakable{euro}

Depends on whether new fonts will provide such a glyph in future,
and would it will be called, but better keep the slot.

\unfakable{multiply}                    % 8r,8y
\unfakable{divide}                      % 8r,8y

> This isn't a question of particularly current interest however,
> so we may well leave things as they are, for now.

If the LaTeX team has some interest in cleaning up the textcomp
package and TS1 encoding, this might well be an issue to consider for
the next fontinst release.  We could just pretend that fontinst's 8c
and 9c encodings have always been what might be called TSA and TSX.

Cheers, Ulrik.