Re: Large unicode PFB files

At 12:37 25.8.2000 +0200, Lars Hellström wrote:
>At 21.29 +0200 2000-08-24, BP Jonsson wrote:
> >Large unicode PFB files.
>
>Just out of curiosity, how are "unicode PFB"s different from ordinary PFBs?
>Do they have 16-bit encodings, or is it just that they contain very many
>glyphs?

The latter.  They also support what FOG calls "Unicode Glyph List".

> >That's what I have, and I figure I can copy out
> >subsets of their AFM files, turn them into ENC files and then do the
> >appropriate things with _fontinst to use them with TeX.
>
>Well, you don't turn the AFM into an ENC (you turn it into an MTX, which is
>then turned into a PL or VPL), and the only case I can think of in which
>you would need to cut out subsets of the AFM is if the AFM as a whole is
>too large for TeX to manage, but I think you're on the right way.

I do make FOG spit out an AFM, cut out a 256 subset which I turn into a
dvips ENC, which I then run thru \enctoetx.   Basically a matter of
convenience and regexps! :-)  I prefer plain TeX, which in any event is
limited to 256 chars in what it calls a \font, IIANM.

> >The question is
> >what I should call the PFB files that I provide _fontinst with in terms of
> >the TeX fontname system?  Should I just call them
>
>That depends. If you command fontinst on the \installfont level then
>fontinst has no preferences as to what the fonts are called (as you
>explicitly specify all file names),

OK, so that's no problem, then.

>BTW, there is something called a "SuperFont" encoding in the fontname
>scheme. Could that be what you have?

I thought that was a font format.  Anyone knows.

>Lars Hellström

PS If this is of low general interest and you want to answer me further I
see no reason why you don't do so privately in Swedish! :-)

/BP 8^)>
--
  B.Philip Jonsson mailto:bpX@netg.se mailto:melrochX@mail.com (delete X)
"Truth, Sir, is a cow which will give [skeptics] no more milk,