Re: Problem with ~ and ^

> Bruce,
>
> I'm not familiar with using afm2tfm, so I can't tell you what is wrong, but
> I can tell you that the error messages in your original mail clearly showed
> that the virtual fonts you were using had no character 2 or 3 (which are
> the positions for the circumflex and tilde accents respectively in the T1
> encoding) in them. You should be able to confirm this by looking in the VPL
> files. (There should be lines beginning with `(CHARACTER' for many
> characters, but none for character no. 2 or 3. The character numbers are
> probably written as O 2 and O 3, or D 2 and D 2, where the letters indicate
> the radix used.)

OK, you have gotten me closer.  Seeing that the problem was in afm2tfm
character encoding, I used tftopl to see the actual encoding of the
supplied Adobe tfm files.  I then ran some tests and realized that the
-T 8r.enc flag to afm2tfm allows me to define characters in the lower
numbered slots, which were missing from my earlier attempts.

I knew this because when I ran afm2tfm with no -T on the supplied Adobe
*.afm files, I saw the same missing entries using tftopl.

However, when I added the -T 8r.enc, I now get ligatures like fi and fl
in the ^ and ~ positions. I also added the proper <8r.enc line to
psfonts.map.

Seems I am closer, but still not there yet.  I tried -t and -p flags
with 8r.enc, but that did not work either, producing ligatures for ~ or
blanks.

I looked at the current font entries in psfonts.map, and I see them
using <8r.enc, so there must be something about that encoding I need,
but I can't figure out what it is.

  root@candle.pha.pa.us                |  (610) 853-3000