Re: question about adobe Cyrillic fonts.

"UV" == Ulrik Vieth writes:

 UV> I do happen to have a Linotype Font Explorer CD (with complemte
 UV> AFMs).  It is interesting to note that the CD includes two types
 UV> or Cyrillic ("Cyr" and "CyrA") as well as two types of Greek
 UV> ("Greek" and "GreekP").

 UV> Enclosed are examples of both types for:

 UV> l_____    TimesTenCyrA-Upright              LL  7035    ttzu____
 UV> l_____    TimesTenCyr-Upright               LL  7003    ttyu____

 UV> While the first one ("CyrA") may be useable directly as
 UV> distributed, the second one ("Cyr") contains some unencoded
 UV> glyphs, so best use of this font can only be made through
 UV> reencoding.

some notes. AFM file for TimesTenCyr-Upright exactly matches the
co-named font distributed by Adobe (there is difference in version
number, and kerning pairs are ordered differently, but the set of
kerns is exactly the same). The encoding of TimesTenCyr-Upright is
thus `6w', a cp1251 MS cyrillic codepage (and could be re-encoded into
other encodings using unencoded glyphs).

AFM file for TimesTenCyrA-Upright (which does not contain unencoded
glyphs) has an encoding which is an extension of iso-8859-5, where all
latin glyphs are replaced with cyrillic ones, and even unused area
128-159 is also filled with cyrillic glyphs. So, this encoding is not
quite usable `as is', because of the lack of latin glyphs (which are
also often used in cyrillic texts); so this font needs to be combined
into some standard encoding in a virtual font with the corresponding
latin font. Also, the AFM file for TimesTenCyrA-Upright does not
contain any kerns, which looks strange.

 UV> While we are at the topic of unresolved encodings, I've also
 UV> included examples of the following:

 UV> l_____    TimesTenGreek-Upright             LL  7021    ttg_____
 UV> l_____    TimesTenGreekP-Upright            LL  7001    ttp_____

while i'm not competent in greek encodings, it seems that
TimesTenGreek-Upright matches the windows greek encoding (cp1253),
while TimesTenGreekP-Upright lacks ASCII latin glyphs, so it has
non-standard encoding (like TimesTenCyrA-Upright).

 UV> l_____    TimesTenCE-Roman                  LL  7036    ttxr____

 UV> If anyone could identify these encodings, it would be nice to
 UV> know.  Obviously, the variant code "k" is not enough for both
 UV> Greek variants.  As for "CE", all I can tell is that this seems
 UV> to be a combination of both Latin~1 and Latin~2 amounting to more
 UV> than 256 glyphs altogether.

the encoding in TimesTenCE-Roman is exactly microsoft cp1250 (except
that Euro is missing at slot 128).

	Best regards, -- Vladimir.