truetype and tex?

Sorry if this is a faq, but I noticed that Microsoft is offering some
decent TrueType fonts these days, some done by Matthew Carter:
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fontpack/default.htm

... and I'm wondering if there's any way to use them with TeX.  That is,
get usable TFM's out of them somehow, and then either rasterize them
into PK fonts or convert them into Type 1's?

The only thing I could find on the web was a Mac program Font Hopper at:
http://www.btinternet.com/~whoami/macutils.html
But that won't help with the TFM's ...

(And no, I'm not interested in shelling out for TrueTeX.)

Thanks for any, uh, hints :-).