How can I check for the existence of a glyph in TeX?

I'm writing a package to automate the use of Euro symbols (the idea is that
you type \euro and get a Euro symbol no matter which fount you're using or
whether or not it's actually got a Euro).

One thing I'd like to do is try and ensure that if the fount really *does*
have a Euro, you get to use it.  To do this, I need to be able to test for
the existence of a real Euro glyph in a fount.

The immediately obvious test:

\settowidth{\@tempdima}{\texteuro}

\ifdim\@tempdima=0pt...

fails because \texteuro might well have been defined to be a `Missing
glyph' rule and therefore have non-zero width (and height and depth).

So...  Is there any way of seeing if a glyph *really* exists *from TeX*?

Cheers,
Rowland.