Re: Mr Horns "recommendation"

At 05:00 PM 2/10/98 +0200, J"org Knappen wrote:

>> Berthold Horn wrote:

>>> My recommendation would be not to use T1 or OT1 encoding.
>>> Use LY1 instead (*).

>>This is in fact not a recommendation but a commercial advertisement.

I believe everyone on tex-fonts is well aware of my connections with
Y&Y.  I make no secrets of them and my name appears in TUG publications
with Y&Y affiliations (such as in the article on `hinting' in the current
issue).
Also, if the topic is of a nature that might entail a potential confliuct of
interest I will add a DISCLAIMER to my message.

Also, if you actually looked on that web page I referenced you will see
that in the FAQ it clearly states that

(i) you do not need fonts from Y&Y to use LY1;
(ii) you can use fonts from Y&Y with other encodings;
(iii) you do not need the Y&Y TeX System to use LY1
(iv) you can use the Y&Y TeX System with other encodings
(it's a menu selection!);

Hence there is no `commercial connection' .  The issue of
the source of fonts, TeX Systems, and encoding are orthogonal.

If you go further and actually download
http://www.YandY.com/download/ly1-unix.txt
you will find that it is for using printer resident fonts with DVIPS.
I don't think either of those are from Y&Y :-)

It just shows a convenient way of using fonts with a single encoding
and a single TFM file complete with ligature and kern information.
Compare that 4 TFMs and 2 VFs when using T1 + TS1

>>Mr. Horn has commercial connection to Y & Y, and didn't even mention this
here.

And, it is Herr Professor Doktor bitte :-), NOT Mr. -- if you please.

Regards, Berthold.

DISCLAIMER: respondent has connections with Y&Y

Berthold K.P. Horn
MIT AI Laboratory
mailto: bkph@ai.mit.edu