Re: Documentation for VPL and PL file formats?

Melissa O'Neill writes:
 > I'm wondering if there is documentation somewhere that describes the
 > format of VPL and PL files. In trying to assess the performance of both
the documentation is in the Web source of pltotf/tftopl,
vftovp/vptovf. i cannot remember which one of the pairs. weave the
.web file and TeX the result

 > With such documentation at my disposal, I might get to know whether it'd
 > be worth my while to re-write some or all of fontinst in Perl, write a
 > post-processor for afmtotfm or just leave all these things well alone.
or investigate the other tools, like a2ac. Yannis Haralambous write an
AFM to TeX metric converter in Perl for Omega, which he described at
TUG 97

 > I'm crossing my fingers that this information wasn't just published in
 > some old TUGboat article and nowhere else, since tracking down copies
VPL was published in TUGboat, but its definitely also in the .web source

sebastian