Re: New font developments: OpenType Font Specification

On Thu, 24 Apr 1997 08:05:43 -0400 (EDT), Berthold K.P. Horn wrote:

>  Where will TeX stand? It is ironic that
>TeX bitmap fonts finally arrived in the 8 bit world with EC fonts,
>just at a time when people are getting ready to take the next step...

With  (La)TeX every T1 text font has its corresponding text companion
font,  so there is room for 512 glyphs.
At the user level this is completely transparent:
You do not need to know whether a certain symbol comes from the
one or the other font.

>Another important side effect that I expect is that ATM may very
>well go away and just become part of the operating system - at
>least in Windows NT

The idea is not new:  The operating system OS/2 has - since v1.3 -
a perfectly integrated ATM.  Most users do not even know
that they have ATM;  they simply use it!

>As for web authoring...

One can send PDF documents through WWW,  and Adobe has
just created a special technology (Amber)  for optimizing this
process.
Why do we need another new "standard"?  Just ask Bill Gate$!

Greetings

Walter
--
Walter Schmidt <wschmi@ibm.net>
Schornbaumstrasse 2,  91052 Erlangen,  Germany