Re: 8r fonts

 >  > However, may I ask for the opinion about the following (not new in the beta-
 >  > release): the faked small caps contain the pseudo-ligatures ff, fi, etc at
 >  > the correct positions, but they also *use* them by ligs in the tfm. Is this
 > i see what you mean. yes its a punishment. any other views?

The <FFsmall> etc. ligatures ought to be just the same as an
<Fsmall><Fsmall> pair.  If they're not then it's a bug with latin.mtx.
As far as I can see, the following code should put the `right' amount
of space between the two <Fsmall>s.  Is smallcapsextraspace not being
set correctly?

\setglyph{FFsmall}
   \glyph{Fsmall}{1000}
   \movert{\add{\kerning{Fsmall}{Fsmall}}