psnfss and postscript fonts

Hi,

I understand that psnfss needs postscript fonts to work properly.
Now, psnfss lives in packages subdirectory of LaTeX directory, while
fonts are rooted somehow higher (somewhere directly in texmf
directory and in its subdirectory texmf). Now, how do I set
environment variables that (La)TeX will find all necessary files (I
think that macro/style files are -- as it is usualy set -- resideing
in tex directory and so the search is done in this hierarchy only).

Thanx for all/any help,

Andrej