Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: 16 Sep 91 12:08:06 GMT
From: bkph@wheat-chex.ai.mit.edu (Berthold K.P. Horn)
Subject: Re: Postscript fonts Times-Bold.tfm vs timesbf.tfm

In article <958@ltb.ltb.bso.nl> wierda@ltb.ltb.bso.nl (Gerben Wierda) writes:

Gerben Wierda writes:

   there are two sets of postscript fonts for TeX. I have Times-Roman and their
   ilk and I have timesbf and their ilk.  The difference is that the latter
   has a character table layout that has the accents on the place where plain
   and lplain expect them.

   The Times-Roman versions are part of dvips, but the other ones I have on my
   NeXT, and I do not remember where they come from (or if they were originally
   there). Can anybody tell me what the status is of these fonts in the TeX
   community?

This is one of a small number of issues that is in desparate need of
standardization.   It is particularly urgent now that more and more people
are using non-CM fonts in TeX.  non-CM fonts can be used in a number of ways:

	(a) encoded as they come - `raw' `native' encoding
	(b) reencoded as in a related TeX font - e.g. `TeX text' encoding
	(c) reencoded to ANSI encoding
	(d) reencoded to ISOLatin1
	(e) reencoded to some other scheme
	.
	.

(The encoding vector is the mapping from character code (0 - 255) to
character glyph (or character name)).

One can come to grief when the TFM files that TeX has access to were made
using a different encoding than that assumed by the DVI-to-whatever
proceessor.  And since TFM files (unlike AFM files) do not make provision
for fully specifying the encoding vector, there is no way to really check
(Yes, there is an optional field for specifying the name of an encoding, but
there are only 8 names that are in any way considered `standard' and the
field is optional).

With TeX 3.0 one of the main reasons for reencoding fonts (inability to
handle characters above 127) has been removed.  In many cases the encoding a
font comes with works quite well.  Using the `raw' encoding helps avoid
confusion.

If the font HAS to be remapped (for use with TeX before 3.0 say), then it
usually is best to use one of the eight standard TeX mapping
(`TeX text' for a `roman' font, `TeX italic' for an `italic' font etc.)
Then, to avoid confusion, use a different name for the TFM file (and other
font files) from that used for the unmolested version.

So, for example, `por.tfm' corresponds to `raw' Palatino Roman, while
`porx.tfm' corresponds to Palatino Roman reencoded to `TeX text' layout.
By the way, using the font file name supplied by the font vendor as a base
for the names of TFM files also helps cut confusion.

To summarize:

there is a problem with reencoding of non-CM fonts and with font file naming.

The following may help:

(*) avoid reencoding a font unless there is a really good reason.

(*) use one of TeX's eight standard reencodings if possible.

(*) if one of TeX's `standard' encoding vectors won't do, then try
    another well known standard such as ANSI, ISOLatin1, TrueType
    standard, or Adobe StandardEncoding.

(*) use the font vendors font file names for constructing TFM file name.

(*) add an `x' to the font file name(s) if the font has been reencoded.

At the very least, one has to be very explicit about:

(a) What encoding was used when a TFM file was generated, and

(b) What encoding the DVI processor thinks it should be using.

You may not be aware of potential problems resulting from these issues,
because somebody has set up your environment so that TeX's TFM files and the
files used by the DVI processor are compatible.  But if you ever move your
files to another environment (say to electronically submit a paper or book
to a publisher) then these difficulties may very well affect you - and in
nasty ways that are not at first apparent!