>From different foundries with similar "given" names.
redundant parts of these messages are edited for brevity.
						-- bb
                ---------------

   1) 25-Feb Rainer Schoepf  use of PK founts under MS-DOS
   2) 25-Feb CHAA006%VAX.RHB RE: use of PK founts under MS-DOS
   3) 25-Feb Rainer Schoepf  Forward from Eberhard Mattes: [us
   4) 26-Feb Rainer Schoepf  RE: use of PK founts under MS-DOS
   5) 27-Feb "Konrad Bernloe Font file conventions / Re: use o

Message 1 -- ************************
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 91 14:38:40 CET
From: Rainer Schoepf <Schoepf%SC.ZIB-BERLIN.DBP.DE@uga.cc.uga.edu>
Subject: use of PK founts under MS-DOS

   From:    CUDAT@CU.WARWICK.AC.UK

   I have recently been setting up LaTeX for someone on an IBM PC
   compatible.  I have been using DVISCRS (version 1.3i) from the emTeX
   collection as a previewer, and DVITOPS (by James Clark)
   to convert DVI files to PostScript.

   Both DVISCRS and DVITOPS use the fount name, printer resolution
   and fount magnification to find the required PK file for a fount.
   To do this, DVITOPS can substitute (resolution x magnification)
   in the name of a file it is looking for (the resolution is in
   dots per inch).  DVISCRS does something similar, but it
   uses (resolution x magnification x 5).

   This makes it awkward to have the previewer and the printer driver
   use the same set of founts.  (DVISCRS gives pretty good results
   with 300 d.p.i. founts and it seems silly to have two sets of PK files
   when one will do.)  Fortunately DVITOPS is persistent enough
   to look in all the MS-DOS directories it is given until it
   finds exactly the right fount file, so I name the directories
   according to emTeX's convention and tell DVITOPS about each
   directory individually.  This is a nuisance as the directory
   names then need to be kept short so that they can all fit into
   an MS-DOS environment variable.

   Is there any chance that developers might be encouraged to agree
   on the general principles of how to locate a required fount file?

This is yet another chapter of a very sad story...

The (resolution x magnification x 5) convention is an old one, and I
don't see any reason why it should still be used.  Actually, I don't
see a reason why the directory names should contain the resolution.
There should be one directory for every output device (thus implicitly
or even explicitly containing the resolution of that particular
device), with subdirectories for different magnifications, each
one containing the appropriate .PK files.  The names of these
subdirectories should not contain the resolution, but the
magnification, for a very simple reason: I find it very awkward to
remember that cmr10 for \magstephalf is contained in, say, pk329 for a
HP Laserjet, and in 1395pk for a 1270dpi Linotype.  Instead, both
directories should be named something like "mag1095".

Driver programs should

(1) be able to read a font substitution definition file,
(2) have settable paths for the pk directories, preferably with
    variable parts to conform to different conventions,
(3) no longer use .PXL files instead of .PK files.

I think we should finally put away those old conventions that have
ceased to be useful.

Rainer Sch\"opf

   Dr. Rainer Schoepf
   Konrad-Zuse-Zentrum fuer Informationstechnik Berlin
   Heilbronner Strasse 10
   D-1000 Berlin 31
   Federal Republic of Germany
   <Schoepf@sc.ZIB-Berlin.dbp.de> or <Schoepf@sc.ZIB-Berlin.de>