Re: checksum inconsistencies for virtual postscript fonts on CTAN

>At 04:11 AM 98/07/28 +0100, Rebecca and Rowland wrote:
>
>>>Oh sure, if your focus is on implementing OT1 and T1..
>
>>>But somehow this is a lower level detail of the _real_ aim, which is
>>>to provide ready-made accented characters so hyphenation can
>>>work in TeX.  And that higher level aim is well-served by LY1 :-)
>
>>But it does mean you don't get a chance to use, say, small caps where no
>>`real' SC fount exists.  I was under the impression that the *real* aim was
>>to allow you to use all the `good things' like faked SC (etc) *as well as*
>>gain access to ready-made accented characters.  That last aim is better
>>served by T1 than LY1 if you've got a Windoze box and you don't use dvips
>>(or one of the commercial dvi drivers that support `proper' re-encoding).
>
>(1) Anyone using fake smallcaps would also steal sheep.

And why not?  Anyone stealing sheep round here deserves some
congratulations: it's normally considered quite tricky in the middle of a
town (spqr: breathe not a word about what sort of town it is).

>(2) Times and many other fonts have real smallcaps.
> The files posted in lw35nfsx (if you had only looked) link correctly to
>those.

That's fine if you're one of the tiny minority who have spent money on the
appropriate founts.  If you just have access to the `standard 35' PS
founts, you can't.

>(3) The solution you describe is a `PS only' solution, Which is very limiting.

What a curious notion.  I seem to manage all that without using PS.  Why do
you think it's PS only?

Rowland.