Re: Fontinst modifications

Thierry wrote:
>Concernant « Re: Fontinst modifications », Ulrik Vieth écrit : «
>» Thierry wrote:
>»
>» > BTW i believe that null kerns are ignored by fontinst. (because
>» > there is something like \if\kerning{a}{b}>\minimumkern\then... )
>»
>» Could be that this is the case for \setlefrightkerning, but AFAIK
>» it is not for low-level \setkern commands.
>
>what i meant is that the null kerns (if any) from the AFM file won't
>be written to the MTX, so you don't have to take care of them. With MM
>fonts i even sanitize the enormous amount of insignificant KPX by
>seting \minimumkern to 5 or 10.

For your information: In my rekern package, this check is performed at the
kern writing stage too. This is certainly needed if kerns are copied using
\setkern{}{}{\kern{}{}}
at some stage, since this sets a zero kern if the kern copied was unset. (I
introduced it when I realised I did quite a lot of this; my VPLs shrunk
some 10K afterwards!)

BTW, \set(left|right)kerning do only copy kerns that are actually set, as
they read the \l-GLYPH and \r-GLYPH macros.

/Lars