Re: Behaviour of \latinfamily

>> It tries all the weights in \latin_weights, all the shapes in \latin_shapes,
>> and all the widths in \latin_widths.  (Well, not really.  There's a switch
>> that determines whether fontinst attempts to fake narrow fonts, or whether
>> it only uses those narrow fonts, which are provided as real fonts.)

> Can you explain what the switch is, and what you need to do to change it?
> Does fontinst ever change this switch on its own?

IIRC, this switch is called \if_fake_narrow.  It is never changed by fontinst
itself, but there is a macro \fakenarrow{WIDTH FACTOR} to change it.

>> (BTW, the present CTAN version was missing some weights, which were
>> simply ignored.  In addition there were some weight mapping which lead
>> to problems, such as regular (or book) and medium being mapped to the
>> same LaTeX weight.  I don't know when Sebastian will put up the new
>> version, in which these problems have been fixed.)

> Is this mapping the `m' weight (fontinst name) to `mb' (fd file weight)?

Yes.  The `mb' designation was my idea, since it was inappropriate to
map both 'r' nad 'm' to the same code.  Presumably, it was mistake that
NFSS codes used 'm' for regular in the first place, but it's too late
to change it now.

Cheers, Ulrik.