Re: Behaviour of \latinfamily

>> Rebecca and Rowland writes:
>>> Right (I think).  So fontinst begins by writing xxx8r.mtx which it
>>> also turns into xxx8r.pl?  And you rely on the dvi driver/printer
>>> to encode the `real' Type 1 fount in 8r encoding?
>> no, i rely on the instructions i give eg dvips in its map file. its
>> not built into dvips
>
>Yes, and you have to keep in mind that fontinst.sty itself doesn't write
>a map file way, anyway.  That's done by Sebastian's Perl scripts.

Yes, I've got that.  I write my config file entries by hand because OzTeX
uses a slightly different syntax.

I think I've been slightly mis-understood here: it is the dvi driver that
does the re-encoding into 8r.  You need to tell it to do it, but it's the
dvi driver that does the job.

Thanks
Rowland.