Re: Bug in fontinst?

Alan wrote:
>>> `nobody should be using OT1 these days, it's just legacy software'.

... and Rowland replied:
>> Ah...  If only this were true.  LaTeX uses OT1 encoding by default;
>> [...]  We're going to be stuck with most people using OT1 for most
>> things until this situation changes.

... leading Alan to reply
> One day the team will make T1 the default, eventually, perhaps.  At
> least the EC fonts are now out...

In free PostScript versions?  Although TeX and Metafont provide an
excellent way to produce quality output on non-PostScript devices, a
significant proportion (likely the majority) of TeX users are targeting
PostScript and PDF. Bitmap fonts are evil in this context, by being
device dependent.

Until you can make a good PDF file with the EC fonts, people will continue
to use CM.

    Melissa.