Re: Bug in fontinst?

Rebecca and Rowland wrote:
> If only!  Adobe's idea is that a small cap A is optically not the same as a
> letter `a' in the case of expert encoded founts, but that a small cap A is
> logically the same as a letter `a' in the case of SC & OsF founts.

Yes grumble mutter stick to their guns mutter.

> Indeed.  What about Lars's idea? :

Probably as good as we're going to get.

> And would it perhaps be possible to add an extension to fontinst's command
> set so that you could force it to to a pltomtx conversion while using
> \installfont?

I think this is going to happen rarely enough that we can just put an
\pltomtx command into the .tex file.

> Ah...  If only this were true.  LaTeX uses OT1 encoding by default; I for
> one have no idea how to create a LaTeX format that uses T1 encoding by
> default.  We're going to be stuck with most people using OT1 for most
> things until this situation changes.

You can't change the format :-)  One day the team will make T1 the
default, eventually, perhaps.  At least the EC fonts are now out...

> It wouldn't be so bad if Adobe were any more consistent, would it?

It wouldn't hurt, but the main problem is that DEK and Adobe have
different ideas about what a glyph is.  It's not like one of them is
wrong, they're just different...

Alan.