Mathematical typesetting principles

At 19:56 +0100 1998/11/19, Thierry Bouche wrote:
> Authors appear to be very fuzzy on standards, following
>the habits of the last paper they read rather than any established
>tradition.

When I try to combine different topics, I try to look around to see what
people do before I decide to make up my mind. This can be quite difficult.

> I think this is in favor of true professional typographers,
>that may normalize authors manuscripts.

Since math should be typeset according to semantical rules, it is difficult
for typesetters to change a typeset formula. What then happens is that the
proof-reader thinks that you are saying something that you are not saying,
and the communications go wrong.

An example from computer science is proof readers that change computer code
like
    print("Answer is", a)
according to a US typesetting rule to
    print("Answer is," a)
and such, in which case the code cannot run.

>PPS is the ratio 1/100 a good one as usefull-for-taco/noise on this list?

One is supposed to change the "Subject" if a new subject is discussed... :-)

  Hans Aberg
                  * Email: Hans Aberg <mailto:haberg@member.ams.org>
                  * Home Page: <http://www.matematik.su.se/~haberg/>