Re: Math Arrows and Harpoons, Draft Three

 HA> (I, and perhaps some others, are not on the group
 HA> tex-nl@nic.surfnet.nl, so any responses on this topic there
 HA> relevant to the math-font-discuss@cogs.susx.ac.uk group needs to
 HA> cc this one.)

tex-nl is addressed only on my announcements. This is the dutch TeX
mailing list, where there are some people that are also interested.
You might be right about the newsgroup, but I don't read netnews, so
it would be hard for me to keep track of the discussions. If someone
else wants to take care of that newsgroup (and possibly others) for
me, I would be much obliged.

 HA> On the arrows 000-003 and the short arrows (or arrowhead
 HA> components) 011-014, I can not recall any math situation where
 HA> the length of an arrow has any semantic significance.

They are in the tables, and other than that they have the advantage
that the TeX macros can use [Uu]p, [Dd]own and [Uu]pdown arrows as
delimiters. Consider this the start of the construction kit, if you
will.

 >> - redesigned triangle heads

 HA> The arrows 114-116 I think now looks much better. I can note
 HA> however that the back of these arrowheads are now bent in the
 HA> opposite of the regular arrowheads (009,002,004).

This was necessary, bending in the other direction looked ridiculous.

 HA> and it did not have it); I know that 125/127 can be used to
 HA> denote an ASCII return on computers.

In fact, 157 is labeled "carriage return".

 HA>   I am not sure this is all logical: For example one the arrows
 HA> 129/174, they look semantically the same to me. I would prefer a
 HA> variation looking more like 129, except that I would not require
 HA> it to be an exact semicircle, just a bend -- so therefore
 HA> something like 174 would be acceptable to me. In addition, I
 HA> would use this kind of arrows as a variation of the plain arrow
 HA> 002, so therefore 174 seems to be acceptable to me (it should
 HA> then come with a mirror reversed version).

129 looks strange to me too. But it just happens to be in
Unicode...

 HA>   On 137-138, one use is in closed line integrals in physics
 HA> (even though these integral signs probably have separate
 HA> symbols). So it could be that these should be fully closed
 HA> circles with an arrowhead onto. In the case of the line
 HA> integrals, the arrowhead should be to the side, not the top, in
 HA> order to not be in the way of the integral sign symbol.

There are separate symbols for the closed line integrals. To appear.

 HA>   The two arrows >->> and <<-< seem to not be present: These are
 HA> used in category thoery to indicate that a homomorhism is both
 HA> mono and epi (and thus iso in say an Abelian category). (Thus a
 HA> head like in 015/017 and a tail as in 009-010.)

One of these is 150, I will add the other one.

Greetings, Taco