Re: [vieth@thphy.uni-duesseldorf.de: MF hackery on upright lowercase greek]

> hi everybody,
> as for upright lc greek, why not use the kd fonts? the greek from cmmi
> with slant :=0 is something that would have killed Homer, i guess!
> i made such an attempt (because french tradition is to use upright
> capital roman letters and lc greek) a while ago [replacement of cmmi,
> nothing to do with the new math encodings], posted on
> 	ftp://fourier.ujf-grenoble.fr/pub/contrib-tex/cmmui.tgz

Well, I can't tell about Homer, but it's very obvious that the CM
greek was not designed for use without slant, nor does it work
particularly well with bold sans serif parameters.

As for the KD fonts, I don't know in how far they are visually
compatible with CM fonts.  The problem is that physicist want to use
both upright and italic greek in the same document for differnt
purposes, i.e. upright greek for particle symbols (e.g. pions and
muons, italic greek for variables as usual, upright delta for
variationals (similar to upright d for differentials), upright pi
for the mathematical constant (similar to upright e and upright i).

I suppose this will be getting really difficult, if you try to mix
different version of greek from different families.

Cheers, Ulrik.

P.S. Does anyone have a reasonable sample of how bold sans serif
greek for use in tensors might look like?