More on subscripts and superscripts

   Absolutely.  I still have no idea why DEK adopted that syntax for
   \over and friends.  Oh well...

I'm guessing, of course, but I think it was an attempt at
user-friendliness.  Someone's book (Diller's, I think) touts
this as a jolly good idea (\over, etc).

Arrows and glyphs?  Having experimented with various composite arrows (and
\kerned myself silly in the process) and seen them fall apart from time to
time, I would want everything as a single glyph (okay, but you know what I
mean).  Of course, Alan's TeXnical knowledge is deeper than my own, but...

Jim