The future of cmex

Here is something for which I would like to attract peoples atention:

In a normal setup of plain, cmex is loaded three times in family three in
the same size.

In most cases, this does not created too many problems. But, I can imagine
some body using an overbrace in a superscript expression. In such a case
the over brace will be very much more bold than the expression under it.

What would be the advantages and disadvantages of getting \TeX to load
cmex (or its replacement) in three different sizes like in other math
families ?

I think I can think of one little problem, but I'm not sure, and I think
it would be interesting to see what every body thinks. Maybe some of you
have already tried doing something similar ?

JZ