[Xy-pic] (no subject)

Jeremy J Graveline jjgraveline at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 24 21:49:45 CET 2011

I recently started using xy-pic in my lecture notes, but I can't seem to figure out how to horizontally align entries in an xymatrix.  I thought that '**[r]' would align the entry 'right', while '**[l]' would align the entry 'left'.  However, this doesn't seem to be the case with the following code (where I would like the 'xymatrix' and the 'array' to essentially have the same horizontal column alignment) ...

\documentclass[english]{article}

\usepackage[all]{xy}

\begin{document}

\[
\xymatrix{
A \times B & **[l] C \\
**[r] D & E \times F
}
\]

\[
\begin{array}{rl}
A \times B &  C \\
 D & E \times F
\end{array}
\]

\end{document}

Any guidance would be very much appreciated.