[Xy-pic] xy-pic Digest, Vol 69, Issue 4

Kristoffer H Rose krisrose at us.ibm.com
Mon Jul 26 14:02:45 CEST 2010

Dear Stefano,

Thanks: please do rate Xy-pic on http://sourceforge.net/projects/xy-pic/ !

> Well, today I installed the new version of XYpic (3.8.3 - 07/07/10) and
> got some problem. Well, it's not really an issue, since the pdf file is
> readeable, but here it is:
>
> Process started
>
> Running miktex-makemf.exe... miktex-makemf: The xyluat source file could
not
> be found. Running hbf2gf.exe...

The xyluat font is provided as metafont sources at three different sizes
(xyluat10.mf, xyluat11.mf, xyluat12.mf) and as PostScript/PDF Type 1 fonts
(xyluat10.pfb, xyluat11.pfb, xyluat12.pfb). It looks like you installation
cannot find these - did you install them where such files are expected by
MikTeX? Some users report that one must use the 'updmap' utility to update
the installation to see new fonts but I do not know if this is the case
with MikTeX or whether MikTeX has a similar setup.

> hbf2gf (CJK ver. 4.8.0) Couldn't find `xyluat.cfg' miktex-maketfm: No
> creation rule for font xyluat10.

Xy-pic never contained any ".cfg" files in the standard release so those
must be MikTeX specific.

> Running miktex-makemf.exe... miktex-makemf: The xylubt source file could
not
> be found. Running hbf2gf.exe...
>
> hbf2gf (CJK ver. 4.8.0) Couldn't find `xylubt.cfg' miktex-maketfm: No
> creation rule for font xylubt10.

This looks like the same problem except with the "xylubt" family of tips.

> This is what I obtain when i try to compile the file attached. Well, I
use
> MikTex2.8 and TeXMaker, and I'm trying to compile using PDFLaTeX. I
don't
> know if that's just a warning message, since the PDF file seems ok. What
> should I do? I'm pretty sure I installed everything (I did the whole
> procedure 5 times) and I still don't understand what is missing. And in
the
> path
>
> C:\Program Files (x86)\MiKTeX 2.8\fonts\tfm\public\xypic
>
> there's the required file.

With "the whole procedure" I assume you followed the directions in the
INSTALL file? When you did, where did you install the files in steps 4, 6,
and 9?

> I forgot to mention: with the previous version of XYpic, everything was
> fine, this very file gave no problem.

The problem must be with your setup as your file does not actually use the
Lucida arrow tips (xy-lu-at/bt) anywhere. My guess would be that you get
the same errors with *any* Xy-pic file?

Either way: your file works fine for me with a standard TeX Live
installation. Except for one surprise: you have

  \usepackage[All]{xy}

which does not work: it should be

  \usepackage[all]{xy}

(notice the change of case). With that change the file works just fine for
me with 3.8.3 using pdflatex; I have attached the result (the
StefanoPascolutti1.* files).

> As for a more general question: as you can see in the tex file I sent
you,
> I'm trying to define braids operations. The problem is that the aligment
of
> the xymatrix in the second example is "wrong" since the other symbols
(\circ
> and =) are aligned in the wrong way, on the top. Is that a know issue?
Is
> there an easy way to center the symbols respect to the xymatrix?

\xymatrix is defined to build a TeX "box" with the same reference point as
the top left entry, which results in the spacing you get. If you wish to
change that all you need to do is wrap it in a suitable box to recenter
it. I have done this in the attached StefanoPascolutti2.* files, where you
may find the spacing nicer.

> Thank you very much in advance for the time you'll spend helping me :-)
And
> thank you again for all this wonderful work!

You are welcome: I hope you'll find out what to do to fix the MikTeX
setup; once you do then *please* post your findings to this list so others
can avoid similar problems and I can include appropriate notices in the
INSTALL file for the next version. As a first step it would be god with an
account of how precisely you followed the INSTALL file and installed
Xy-pic, as mentioned above.

Enjoy,
        Kris

__
Kristoffer H Rose, ph.d. <krisrose at us.ibm.com> +1(914)784-7642 (fax -6324)
IBM T.J.Watson Research Center, PO Box 704, Yorktown Heights, NY 10598
__