[Xy-pic] Xy-pic development has a new home!

Kristoffer H Rose krisrose at us.ibm.com
Mon Apr 19 03:29:51 CEST 2010

Dear Karl,

I am sorry for the confusion: we probably involved you a bit prematurely.

The current situation is that I have copied "Xy-pic version 3.7" onto
SourceForge, which is the same release from 1999 as can be found on CTAN
in macros/generic/diagrams/xypic/xy-3.7, plus a few files that we have
needed to copy internally, but which should not be considered for CTAN at
this time. So, in summary, there is nothing to change on CTAN yet.

The actual code on SourceForge has become our development branch, and it
is the plan is to release "Xy-pic version 3.8" quite soon (with the
(rather few) developments of Xy-pic itself but in particular a new PDF
backend for high quality PDF output, which is the combination of Ross's
work on translating some of the Xy-pic extension into PDF with the great
work of Daniel on using native PDF to typeset the core graphics of
Xy-pic).

Once released, "Xy-pic version 3.8" will include documentation in PDF, and
should be made available on CTAN in a folder named
macros/generic/diagrams/xypic/xy-3.8. *Then* the new "Xy-pic version 3.8"
release can completely replace the current "Xy-pic version 3.7" files on
TeX-Live, including "upgrading" all the documentation to proper PDF files.

Before we release we'll ask you whether we have the file names right,
i.e., we'll ask whether the xy38run.tar.gz archive, which unpacks to the
xy-3.8 directory, contains what you want it to. Indeed, if there is
something impractical for TeX Live about the structure of the files in the
current xy-3.7 directory then do tell so I can adjust the install script
appropriately for  version 3.8!

Cheers,
  Kris

__
Kristoffer H Rose, ph.d. <krisrose at us.ibm.com> +1(914)784-7642 (fax -6324)
IBM T.J.Watson Research Center, PO Box 704, Yorktown Heights, NY 10598

karl at freefriends.org (Karl Berry)
04/18/2010 07:50 PM

ross at ics.mq.edu.au
cc
Kristoffer H Rose/Watson/IBM at IBMUS
Subject
Re: [Xy-pic] Xy-pic development has a new home!

Hi Ross, Kris,

1. It would be highly desirable, just about a requirement, to get this
   onto CTAN first.  Currently there is
macros/generic/diagrams/xypic/xy-3.7.

   I'm unclear as to whether xy-3.7 has been updated (in which case
   shouldn't it be 3.8?), or if it's an add-on to 3.7 (in which case I
   think a sibling directory like 3.7-xypdftex would be preferable).

   I suggest using http://ctan.org/upload to upload to CTAN.
   Last I knew, there was no way to mirror sourceforge.

2. It would be highly desirable for you to include good pdf's in what is
   on CTAN.  Then all we (TL) have to do is copy them.  This is vastly
   more reliable than me trying to figure out how to properly generate
   them.  Besides, CTAN likes to have PDF documentation available too.

Thanks,
Karl