[Xy-pic] XY and babel: an example

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Mon Apr 4 23:41:13 CEST 2005

On 02/04/2005, at 12:59 AM, Samy Abbes wrote:

> Like other people in this mailing list, I have observed
> some incompatibility between XY-pic and babel in LaTex.
>
> Symptoms : the positions are not recognised by XY-pic when
> the following babel options are used : french, frenchb, breton,
> turkish.

Sure.
Babel changes the meaning of some characters;
e.g. " ! ' ` ?
different ones are changed for different languages.

However, it provides a way to counter these changes.
Various versions of Babel have used different macro-names
for the switch to turn off these special features.

> Below I reproduce an example file that shows the symptoms.
> The dvi file is succesfully generated, but the positions are
> misinterprated. Using \xycatcodes doesn't help.
>
> This file is correctly intreprated with the following babel options :
> Afrikaans, Bahasa, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English,
> Esperanto, Estonian, Finnish, Galician, German, Greek, Hugarian,
> Irish, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Scottish,
> Spanish, Swedish, Ukrainian, Usorbian, Welsh.
>
> I have not been able to use the remaining babel options :
> Slovakian, Slovenian, Norwegian and Lower Sorbian.
>
> Here is the file:
>
> \documentclass[11pt]{article}
> \usepackage[french]{babel}
> \usepackage[all]{xy}
> \begin{document}

Just wrap the diagram with the default language:

{\english
    \xymatrix at M=0pt{
    A\ar[dr]!L&&A\ar[dl]\\
    &B\POS!R\ar[u]
    }
}

> \end{document}
>
> Samy
>
> PS: I don't expect a miracle answer since the problem seems
> to be really tricky. I mention it for the records.

Not tricky at all, once you understand the problem.

Hope this helps,

	Ross

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au
Sydney, Australia                                  fax: +61 +2 9850 8114