[Xy-pic] XY and babel: an example

Samy Abbes sabbes at isr.umd.edu
Fri Apr 1 16:59:19 CEST 2005

Like other people in this mailing list, I have observed
some incompatibility between XY-pic and babel in LaTex.

Symptoms : the positions are not recognised by XY-pic when
the following babel options are used : french, frenchb, breton, turkish.

Below I reproduce an example file that shows the symptoms.
The dvi file is succesfully generated, but the positions are
misinterprated. Using \xycatcodes doesn't help.

This file is correctly intreprated with the following babel options :
Afrikaans, Bahasa, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English,
Esperanto, Estonian, Finnish, Galician, German, Greek, Hugarian,
Irish, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Scottish,
Spanish, Swedish, Ukrainian, Usorbian, Welsh.

I have not been able to use the remaining babel options :
Slovakian, Slovenian, Norwegian and Lower Sorbian.

Here is the file:

\documentclass[11pt]{article}
\usepackage[french]{babel}
\usepackage[all]{xy}
\begin{document}

  \xymatrix at M=0pt{
A\ar[dr]!L&&A\ar[dl]\\
&B\POS!R\ar[u]
}

\end{document}

Samy

PS: I don't expect a miracle answer since the problem seems
to be really tricky. I mention it for the records.