[Xy-pic] Environment form of Xy-pic

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Fri Jun 4 02:01:52 CEST 2004

Hello Rafael,

On 03/06/2004, at 6:33 AM, Rafael Villarroel wrote:

> I want to do some macros for big commutative diagrams (with more than
> 9 arguments), and it would help a lot if there were an environment
> equivalent of the \xymatrix command, so that for example
>
> \newcommand{\arrowd}[3]{\xymatrix{#1\ar[r]^{#2}#3}}
>
> is equivalent to
>
> \newcommand{\arrowd}[3]{%
> \begin{someenv}
> #1\ar[r]^{#2}#3
> \end{someenv}
>
> for some suitable someenv environment.

How do you intend to use this ?
As a sub-part of a larger diagram ?

In this case, you probably need to use the \xybox command;
viz.

   *!C+[F-]\xybox{\xymatrix{X\otimes R \ar[r]^{\phi\otimes 1} U\otimes
R}}

using various modifiers as the sub-diagram is dropped.

In that case, a macro could be defined, such as:

\newcommand{\arrowd}[4]{\drop#1\xybox{\xymatrix{#2\ar[r]^{#3}#4}}}

Note that, with such macro definitions for use with Xy-pic,
it is necessary to provide the means to control
   *how* your macro will place objects *into* a diagram,
not just specify the content of those objects themselves.

> Any comments on this would be appreciated. Thanks

Hopefully the above comments will help you to solve
your problem.

Best regards,

	Ross Moore

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au
Sydney, Australia                                  fax: +61 +2 9850 8114