[Xy-pic] Problems with <path>s

Richard Lewis xypic at rtf.org.uk
Fri Aug 27 18:26:11 CEST 2004

Hi everyone, I've noticed a few problems with the <path> construct,
any fixes possible?

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}
\usepackage[british]{babel}
\usepackage{amsmath}
\usepackage[all]{xy}

\author{R. P. I. Lewis}
\date{28 July 2004}
\title{Problmes with \Xy-pic's \string\PATH contruct}

\begin{document}
%maketitle

Accordin to page 41 of the reference manual, you can apply any <arrow>
to any <path>.  However

\section{Where is the hole?}
\[
\xygraph{%!Z{2cm}{2cm}%
  A[r]B[dr]C[rr]D[ul]E
  []!{%
  "A"\ar@{-}
       ~+{|>*\dir{>}}   % all segments get a `>' at end
   '"B" %^-{a}
   '"C" %_-{b}
   '"D" |-{\hole}
   "E"
   }
}
\]
It works if we remove the \string~\string+ bit:
\[
\xygraph{
  A[r]B[dr]C[rr]D[ul]E
  []!{%
  "A"\ar@{-}
       %~+{|>*\dir{>}}   % all segments get a `>' at end
   '"B"
   '"C"
   '"D" |-{\hole}
   "E"
   }
}
\]

\section{Curves dont play well with paths}
Here, the second segment starts in the wrong place
\[
\xygraph{%
  A[r]B[dr]C[rr]D[ul]E
  []!{%
  "A"\ar@/^/
   '"B" %^-{a}
   '"C" %_-{b}
   '"D"
   "E"
   }
}
\]

And when labels are used, subsequent sections start from the label,
rather than the end of the path
\[
\xygraph{%
  A[r]B[dr]C[rr]D[ul]E
  []!{%
  "A"\ar@/^/
   '"B" ^-{a}
   '"C" _-{b}
   '"D" _-{c}
   "E"
   }
}
\]

\section{Curved sections don't honour the style}
\[
\xygraph{%
  A[r]B[dr]C[rr]D[ul]E
  []!{%