[Xy-pic] Re: Modifying one dimension of a box

Alexander Perlis alexanderperlis@yahoo.com
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 00:54:18 -0700 (PDT)

Michael Abbott <michael@araneidae.co.uk> wrote:
> I cannot figure out how to do the following.  I wish to increase
> the depth, but only the depth, of a box to match the depth of
> another box.
>
> [snip]
> \newcommand{\male}{*=<3ex>[F-]{ }}
> \newcommand{\female}{*=<4ex>[o][F-]{}}
> [snip]
>     \save+D*++!U{\parbox{1in}{\centering#1\\%
> [snip]

Instead of using "+D" to move to the bottom of the previous object,
use "+<0ex,-3ex>" to move a fixed distance.

Additional comment:
It looks like you have discovered a bug in Xy-pic. Were you to
specify 4ex for both the square and circle sizes, you discover that
the circle is in fact smaller than the square. (Presumably this
explains why you compensated by choosing different sizes for the two
shapes.) By magnifying in a DVI previewer, it is apparant that Xy-pic
frames a square object along the OUTSIDE of its bounding box, whereas
it frames a circular object along the INSIDE of its bounding box. I
consider this inconsistency in behavior a BUG. (Another bug: the
framing of square objects is misbehaved at the corners.)

Alex