[Xy-pic] xy-pic and babel

Ross Moore ross@ics.mq.edu.au
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 07:55:01 +1100 (EST)

> I produced of xy pics with no problem at all. however, when adding the
> babel package
> to my latex system (oztex 5.0) odd error messages showed up in
> processing
> xy-pics? Did anyone ever come across this and conjured up a solution?

Please provide an example.

However, I can guess the kind of thing that may be going wrong.
Babel will change the category codes of some characters,
 typically ' and " and perhaps some others, to make it easier
to generate accented letters, when these are common in the language.

These can upset parsing within an Xy-pic diagram, since such characters
can have special meanings in that context.

You should load Xy-pic *after* all other packages that affect
characters in this way.

Also, Xy-pic has commands  \xycatcodes  and  \xyuncatcodes  to switch
the category codes between their "normal" values and what your document
was using at the time the \usepackage{xy} command was encountered.

So if simply changing the order of loading packages does not fix the
problem, then you may be able to find a way to use these 2 commands wisely,
so as to get processing to proceed smoothly.

Hope this helps,

	Ross Moore