[XeTeX] "Options for all fonts" : colo[u]r, and the transparency byte

Philip TAYLOR (Webmaster, Ret'd) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Sun Jun 5 21:24:38 CEST 2011

Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 05.06.2011 um 14:06 schrieb Philip TAYLOR (Webmaster, Ret'd):
>
>> What am I missing, please ?
>
> Mac OS X's deprecated xdv2pdf.

And yet, Tikz/PGF can achieve transparency using the default driver
(xdvipdfmx (0.7.8)),
as Matthew Skala kindly pointed out and went on to demonstrate.  So how
is it, I am
forced to ask, that an add-on package can achieve something that the
underlying
engine cannot ?  This seems very odd to me.

Andy Lin wrote :

> IIRC, the fontspec manual mentions that font transparency through font
> xdv2pdf driver.

Unfortunately fontspec is targeted solely at (Xe)LaTeX users, whereas Will
Robertson's "/X/?/TEX reference guide/" is targeted at all users of
XeTeX and
makes no mention under the entry for the extended syntax of \font that
some of the options are not universally applicable, whence my confusion.

Philip Taylor