[XeTeX] Adobe Kepler Std: Extraneous space always inserted between left paren and f

David Perry hospes.primus at verizon.net
Sun Feb 21 05:50:21 CET 2010

Taylor,

This is really bizarre.  I copied your text from PDF X-change Viewer on
Vista and pasted into Notepad, displaying the results in Charis SIL; see
the attached screen shot.  The screen shot confirms what you say except
that there is no extra space with the italic version, and the subhead
and display versions seem to have extra space in the PDF but it is not
selectable and does not produce a space when pasted.  Note also that the
ligature fi is coming out as o-acute or, in one case, n-tilde, which I
do not understand at all.  The little boxes instead of small capitals
represent PUA characters that Adobe used to use for their small caps, so
that is what I would expect to see.

My gut feeling is that it's a problem with the font.  If there were a
real serious bug in XeTeX's handling of OpenType fonts, I think it would
have surfaced before now.  Also, be aware that the letter f causes
problems for font designers because it tends to run into other
characters unless handled carefully.  One possibility is that some OT
code in the font meant to (for instance) put extra space _after_ the f
got messed up and put it before the f instead.

Do you have any other fonts that support OT features like ligatures?
Other Adobe fonts would perhaps be the best test.  If they work, then
it's probably not a XeTeX problem.

The best test would be to try Kepler Pro in another application that
supports OT.  If you are on Linux, you may not have anything but XeTeX;
on Mac you can try TextEdit or Pages, or most of the Adobe apps
(InDesign, Illustrator, etc), which are cross-platform.  If Kepler Pro
does work properly in other OT-aware apps that can generate PDF, then we
do need to look at XeTeX again.  I don't have Kepler so I can't help much.

David