[XeTeX] Finding out if a font supports a particular Unicode character and using it

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Thu Feb 4 14:29:47 CET 2010

François Charette wrote:

> Ups, sorry. In fact I renamed it while writing the above message,
> realizing that "fontcheck" was not a very good name :)

> Indeed, but you can probably install it with the tool "ppm" that comes
> with ActivePerl. Otherwise typing "cpan Font::TTF" in a terminal should
> do it.

Very successful : merci bien, François !  I had bever used
PPM before, but it seems a useful tool.

I had to change line 37 to read

	my @fontpaths = ("K:/WINXPPRO/Fonts");

(it doesn't like the same line with Windows-direction slashes)
but with that done, and using the example from your initial
message, I received the following :

> K:\Documents and Settings\Chaa006.PC87-CC\My Documents>perl glyphlookup-PT.pl 2605
> Looking in 174 system fonts ...
> The glyph ★ (0x2605) is available in the following fonts:
>         Arial Unicode MS Regular
>         SimHei Regular
>
> K:\Documents and Settings\Chaa006.PC87-CC\My Documents>

** Phil.