[XeTeX] How to fake SmallCaps in Fontspec?

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 05:06:48 CEST 2008

On 18/07/2008, at 3:05 AM, Sven Siegmund wrote:

> I use DejaVu fonts but they don't have small caps.
> I really need such thing so I want at least fake them.

Hi Sven,

In the past I've thought about this in fontspec, but it really becomes
impossible if you want the fake small caps to behaviour like \textsc
-- that is, to have uppercase come out as real uppercase but lowercase
to come out as scaled uppercase.

So rather than using fontspec, it's probably easier to use the relsize
package, like this:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{fontspec,relsize}
\begin{document}
\fontspec{Georgia}
THIS IS UPPERCASE and lowercase
{\smaller THIS IS FAKE SMALL CAPS}
\end{document}

You can always define a macro to make this more "semantic", as well:
   \newcommand\fakesc[1]{{\smaller #1}}

Hope this helps,
Will