[XeTeX] kpathsea problem??

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue Feb 12 07:31:02 CET 2008

Le 12 févr. 08 à 05:03, Mike Maxwell a écrit :

> Xetex successfully loads a bunch of style (.sty) files, then halts
> trying to do the following:
> ------------------
> (/usr/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/psnfss/upzd.fd)kpathsea: Running
> mktextfm pzdr
> mktextfm: Running mf-nowin -progname=mf \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1;
> nonstopmode; input pzdr
> This is METAFONT, Version 2.71828 (Web2C 7.5.6)
>
> kpathsea: Running mktexmf pzdr
> ! I can't find file `pzdr'.
> <*> \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input pzdr
>
> Please type another input file name
> ! Emergency stop.
> ------------------
>
> There's more after that, but I think the above is the relevant part.
>
> I gather from googling that pzdr is a font of some sort, and that
> mktexmf "is used to generate the Metafont source file for" pzdr.  I'm
> not sure why it thinks it needs to use that font (or even which "it"
> has
> decided that); pzdr is surely not a Unicode-capable font (nor is it
> "called" in the input file, which instead calls for the Charis SIL,
> DejaVu Sans, DejaVu Sans Mono, and Rupali fonts--the latter is for
> Bengali).

pzdr is Zapf Dingbats, one of the historic 35 fonts shipped with the
first laser printers (such as Times, Helvetica, Courier and the like).

> I'm guessing that kpathsea is looking for something in the wrong
> place.
> Clearly it can't find pzdr, but as I say, I'm not sure why it wants
> to. I do have files named pzdr.tfm and pzdr.afm.  (Note to self: under
> /usr/share/texmf/fonts/)
>
> That, or maybe I need to re-install something?  Suggestions on where
> look would be much appreciated...

There must be something wrong with your updmap.cfg. At installation
times updmap uses either /usr/share/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/
builtin35.map which contains

pzdr ZapfDingbats

or /usr/share/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/download35.map which contains

pzdr Dingbats <uzdr.pfb

The first setting corresponds to not including the base 35 fonts in
the PS or PDF output from dvips, pdfTeX, (x)dvipdfm(x), and the second
to including them. It seems none of these lines has been taken into
account in your case. If you open /usr/share/texmf-config/web2c/
updmap.cfg, is there a line for pzdr?

Personally what I would try is select embedding of the 35 base fonts
manually. As in

updmap --setoption dvipsDownloadBase35 true
updmap --setoption pdftexDownloadBase14 true
updmap --setoption dvipdfmDownloadBase14 true

The last two lines shouldn't be necessary (I think the TeXLive factory
defaults are embedding for pdfTeX and dvipdfm and no embedding for
dvips), but who knows?

Depending on how your TeX system is configured (system-wide or per-
user), you may have to use updmap-sys instead of updmap, and preface
it with sudo with appropriate options. For example, in my case with
Mac OS X and system-wide setup, after installation of MacTeX I run:

sudo -H updmap-sys --nohash --nomkmap --syncwithtrees
sudo -H updmap-sys --nohash --nomkmap --setoption dvipsDownloadBase35
true
sudo -H updmap-sys --nohash --nomkmap --setoption pdftexDownloadBase14
true
sudo -H updmap-sys --nohash --nomkmap --setoption
dvipdfmDownloadBase14 true
[additional map file loading for MathTime, Lucida and Mathematica fonts]
sudo -H updmap-sys

Hope this helps,

Bruno Voisin