[XeTeX] XeTeX and PDF Forms

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Tue Feb 5 18:06:30 CET 2008

On 5 Feb 2008, at 4:51 pm, mike leonard wrote:

> I hope it's not poor etiquette to respond to my own post. I'm guessing
> that the lack of responses indicates that there's really no way to use
> XeTeX for creating fill-in forms. Can anyone confirm or deny this? Is
> this something that could be accomplished using PDF \specials somehow?
> I know that other features of hyperref do work with XeTeX and I'm
> really hoping to find a solution for creating PDF forms.

Well, speaking for myself, I didn't respond because I don't know!
There's definitely nothing "built in" to XeTeX itself that is
relevant to this. It may well be possible via pdf \specials, but it's
not something I have looked at.

I'd suggest searching for info from the DVIPDFMx project, as xetex's
xdvipdfmx is an extended version of this and inherits its \special
support. If it can do forms, then xetex probably can too; and if not,
not. (Do hyperref forms work with a LaTeX->DVI->dvipdfmx processing
path, or only with pdfTeX?)