[XeTeX] TeXLive 2008 and PSTricks

John Was john.was at ntlworld.com
Wed Dec 17 21:51:55 CET 2008

Hello

With the 2007 version of XeTeX (on a Windows XP platform) I pointed out previously on this list that not all PSTricks commands worked - \rput and \psscalebox (among others) were OK, but line and figure drawing was unreliable, sometimes (for example) leaving a triangle with just two out of its three sides.  A few other reports to the list suggested that some users were experiencing similar problems.  I am getting exactly the same with the 2008 distribution and wonder if anyone has had the same experience.

The attached two files should generate various lines (designed to link different elements in a bit of tabular text), and so they do if just one of the files is incorporated in a chapter (with \input ...).  If they are both incorporated on consecutive pages (which is what is needed), then the second page does not display the lines specified in desmetlines2.tex but repeats precisely all of the lines in desmetlines1.tex, invoked on the previous page, in the same position as they appeared on that page:  it is as if XeTeX has remembered them, and as soon as it encounters *any* PSTricks line command it simply repeats them, ignoring the commands it is supposed to be processing.

Aside from that, it is tedious to specify all the lines before the text of the table is given  (this involves carefully working out their positions, using a ruler on a printout of the table);  however, using the PSTricks node commands, where PSTricks will work out the start- and endpoints of the lines automatically, failed to produce the expected result.  (If I recall correctly, after the efirst \psline command every \psline command simply caused a repeat of the first one - so rather like the error I described in the last paragraph, except that this time it applied to each individual line on the page after the first.)

Any suggestions as to what may be going wrong, and how to fix it?

Best

John