[XeTeX] basic question: small caps

Jonathan Kew jonathan at jfkew.plus.com
Tue Aug 26 20:35:51 CEST 2008

On 24 Aug 2008, at 10:02 PM, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 24.08.2008 um 16:27 schrieb brindle:
>
>> but it can't display small caps (with \textsc{bla}). I used
>
> When you run xetex on OpenType-info.tex with Doulos SIL you'll get
> probably:
>
> 	OpenType Layout features found in Doulos SIL:
> 	script ='cyrl'
> 	 language = <default>
> 	  features ='smcp''ccmp''aalt''liga'
> 	script ='latn'
> 	 language ='IPA '
> 	  features ='ccmp''aalt''liga''kern''mark''mkmk'
> 	 language ='ROM '
> 	  features ='smcp''ccmp''aalt''liga'
> 	 language ='VIT '
> 	  features ='smcp''ccmp''aalt''liga'
> 	 language ='dflt'
> 	  features ='ccmp''aalt''liga''kern''mark''mkmk'
> 	 language = <default>
> 	  features ='ccmp''aalt''liga''kern''mark''mkmk'
>
> It seems as if the SmallCaps feature is only available by default for
> Cyrillic script and for Latin script in Romanian and Vietnamese
> languages ...

Doulos SIL does not support a small-caps feature. There was a release
that incorrectly included this feature tag (and apparently that's the
one you have, Pete), but it does not actually work: the glyphs are not
there! I believe this is mentioned in the FAQ/Known Issues page on the
web site. There is an updated version that corrects this bug, but I
think it is currently distributed only with the TypeTuner package,
pending a full update to the Doulos SIL (and Charis SIL -- same issue
applies) package.

No more specific details right now as I'm away from internet
connectivity; this message might go out tomorrow if I find a hotspot
momentarily!