[XeTeX] XeTeX, fancy headers and htlatex

Rene Borgella reneborg at fastmail.fm
Tue Jan 30 19:53:34 CET 2007

Hi again Robert,

Ok, now I get to show my level of ignorance ;-) !!

Robert Spence wrote:

> Can you post a minimal example (or even a torture test) showing what
> kind of contents you need to typeset?

Will do in a sep. message.

 As I said in my last posting
> [30 Jan 2007, Re: [XeTeX] LaTeX to Xetex conversion query],
> it's possible to process the same input file with htlatex and with
> XeTeX, but you need to do a bit of fiddling.  Which specific features
> of XeTeX do you need, apart from the UTF-8 input encoding?  How many
> of those features become unnecessary when you're producing HTML?

I don't really know!  I have used LaTeX successfuly, and have decided to
try XeTeX because of the ease of using fonts in OSX. Maybe I don't
really need to use XeTeX!

> The example below shows that you're trying to execute the htlatex
> command _WITHOUT_ any special parameters; in order to do the basic
> typesetting, htlatex then immediately calls pdfTeXk (not XeTeX)!

ahhh, I didn't know that I had to do anything like that.

> You've already got htlatex to use pdfTeXk, which excludes using XeTeX:

to make sure I'm getting this . . . I need to tell htlatex to use
something special to have XeTeX docs correctly convert to html via
htlatex, correct?

>> FWIW, I am mostly interested in having some method where I can write
>> documents that will work well for printing and can easily convert
>> to html.
>
> I'm not sure whether there's a way of doing exactly what you want,
> i.e. executing htlatex and getting it to use XeTeX instead of pdfTeXk.
>
> My workaround was simply to have two logical alternatives built into
> the document to be processed, in the form of an if-then-else structure:
> _IF_ you're using XeTeX to produce PDF output,
> _THEN_ you take up the standard XeTeX options such as
>    \usepackage{fontspec,xunicode}
>    and so on,
> _ELSE_ you take up the PDF options that work most sensibly in
> conjunction with htlatex to produce HTML (e.g.
>    \usepackage[utf8x]{inputenc}
>    \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
>    \usepackage{lmodern}
> )
>
> You then run
> EITHER
> xelatex -output-driver='xdvipdfmx' <filename>
> to produce PDF output
> OR ELSE
> htlatex <filename.tex> "mycfg.cfg,xhtml,uni-html4" " -cunihtf -utf8"
> to produce HTML output.

Ok, that means I need to understand a bit more ....

where do I go to learn about this stuff you've written above?

Thanks,

Rene