[XeTeX] Arno conundrum

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Jan 10 15:32:08 CET 2007

On 10 Jan 2007, at 2:22 pm, Adam Twardoch wrote:

> Jonathan Kew wrote:
>> OK, I've looked into it a little, and believe this is the case. In
>> technical terms, the Arno Pro font shares some lookups between
>> multiple features, as an optimization of the OpenType GSUB table, and
>> the layout engine in ICU 3.4 (used by xetex) doesn't handle this. I
>> think this is the first font I've seen that's constructed in this
>> way.
>>
> I’ve seen numerous.

I'm sure you look into many more fonts than I do! :) Maybe people
just haven't noticed/reported the issue before with xetex; it depends
what features/combinations they've tried to use.

> It’s pretty common design practice, in both
> "European typographic" and "complex script linguistic" OpenType
> domains.
> Very often, "salt" and "ssXX" features use the same lookups, sometimes
> features such as "sinf" and "dnom". In some fonts, figures are
> converted
> into old-style numerals using the same lookup associated with both
> "onum" and "smcp".

...which is exactly the case in Arno Pro, leading to the 'onum'
failure that Stephen reported. I expect to fix this for xetex 0.997,
if all goes well.

Thanks,