[XeTeX] graphics inclusion

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Mon Dec 10 01:02:19 CET 2007

Hello Guy,

On 10/12/2007, at 4:45 AM, Guy wrote:

> Yes, the terminal has this error when I run xelatex on that file:
>
>> ! Unable to load picture or PDF file '``srikanthacrop.pdf'.

Jonathan mentioned those extra quotes `` .

Perhaps when you tried:

    \XeTeXpdffile "srikanthacrop.pdf"

you also have a pre-processing step that replaces
  "<letters>   with  ``<letters> .

While this kind of gimmick is useful in normal paragraphed text,
it will certainly cause failure here.
The pattern-matching rules for this kind of replacement need to
be thought out very carefully to avoid this.

Another possibility is that " is an active character within
your document, that "looks ahead" to see what is the next character,
to guess whether opening or closing quotes are intended.
This will fail for the same reason as above.
You need to make the " unactive, if you want to use it in this context.

To help you further we need to see complete document source,
cut-down to be as short as possible, which allows us to see the
complete context in which normal commands seem to be failing
for you.

>> <to be read again>
>>                    \unhbox
>
> and, despite the log file, there is just a blank space where my
> included graphic should be in the output.  Pdflatex will produce the
> proper graphic-included output, but not latex (which produces an empty
> box) or xelatex (blank space).  It seems that I'm missing some basic
> element or configuration in latex and xelatex, no?  Does pdflatex come
> bundled with anything that those two don't?  Or are there any basic
> dependencies for xe/latex that I might have overlooked?  Thanks again.

Rather than you missing anything, it is far more likely that
your situation is actually more complicated than you are telling us,
in terms of packages, active characters and macro definitions.

> guy

Hope this helps,

	Ross

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au