[XeTeX] line spacing

Yves Codet ycodet at club-internet.fr
Mon Mar 7 18:02:25 CET 2005

Le 7 mars 05, à 17:29, Will Robertson a écrit :

Thanks to Stephen's and Jonathan's advices, I reached that result:

\documentclass[10pt,a4paper]{book}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\usepackage[frenchb]{babel}
\setromanfont[Scale=0.66,Variant=0,Numbers=OldStyle]{Zapfino}
\lineskiplimit=-1000pt
\renewcommand\baselinestretch{1.9}
\raggedbottom

which removes all messages about overfull and underfull vertical boxes.
"Scale=0.66" is a little small, but with "0.67" or more I have an
overfull vertical box per page.

> I haven't had a change to do any typesetting with (almost anything at
> all, let alone) Zapfino, but I've been wondering for a while how you'd
> be manage with the colliding ascenders/descenders in any manner
> whatsoever. Sounds fun, but I fear it might be the case that a GUI
> program might be easier to deal with.

After a few trials I chose the above values which avoid such collisions.

> What would be nice is a GUI program for setting small amounts of text
> with various per-letter settings like variants and kerning which could
> then output the corresponding XeTeX commands. I'll add *that* to my
> list of things to do if I ever get around to learning Cocoa :)

Yes, it would be handy indeed for fonts such as Zapfino.

The following remark is for Ross. Jonathan advised me to write in
preambles:

\catcode"00A0=\active
\def^^^^00a0{\char32\relax}

so that "no-break space" appears in the output. Could it be taken care
of by "xunicode"?

Thanks to all for your help.

Best wishes,

Yves