[XeTeX] Sanskrit hyphenation

Yves Codet ycodet at club-internet.fr
Thu Jul 29 18:32:19 CEST 2004

Le 29 juil. 04, à 12:57, Jonathan Kew a écrit :

> It looks to me as though your input file is lacking a command to tell
> TeX that the current language is Sanskrit, so the default (English)
> patterns are active. Try adding \language=\sanskrit at the start of
> your text.
>
> In addition, when I actually try this, no hyphenations occur in this
> sample; but if you use a smaller \hsize than the default, making it
> harder to find good line-breaks, then they do start to appear.
>

> Ah, looks like those are the vocalic rr and ll letters and vowel
> signs; checking the Unicode standard, I see that they're at
> U+0960..0963. So the line
> 	\loop \lccode\n=\n \ifnum\n<"095F \advance\n by 1 \repeat
> in the patterns file doesn't set \lccode for these, because it stops
> at 095F. Just change the ending value for that loop to 0963, and
> they'll be included as acceptable letters for hyphenation patterns.

Thanks a lot. Everything seems to work well now. When those Sanskrit
hyphenation patterns are sufficiently tested, you might want to include
them in a future release and make them available for LaTeX: you know
many non English speakers don't use plainTeX at all.

By the way, I messed up my files. Sorry. The "sanhyph.tex" I sent
before was a little truncated. I attach the right one, in case somebody
else wants to test and possibly improve it.

Kind regards,

Yves