[Tugindia] Fwd: May23 news: conferences, TLC3, bookplates, devfund, CTAN

Radhakrishnan CV cvr at river-valley.org
Thu May 4 03:45:32 CEST 2023

From: TeX Users Group <tug-news at tug.org>
Date: Thu, May 4, 2023 at 3:10 AM
Subject: May23 news: conferences, TLC3, bookplates, devfund, CTAN

Dear TeXers

May is here, and the time for meetings is upon us.

As we send this, BachoTeX 2023 is just closing in Bachotek, Poland:
  https://www.gust.org.pl/bachotex/2023-en

The 19th meeting of the Italian Users Group, GuIT, will take place in Rome
on May 20, 2023: https://www.guitex.org/home/en/meeting.

DANTE e.V., 65. annual meeting, July 13, 2023 will take place in Bonn,
https://www.dante.de/veranstaltungen/dante2023/, followed by TUG 2023
on July 14-16, https://tug.org/tug2023.

If you plan to attend TUG'23 in person in Bonn, please register as soon
as possible:
  https://tug.org/tug2023/register.html

More news about TUG 2023: GUTenberg's grant for the TUG 2023
conference has been awarded to Victor Sannier.  Victor is a
student in mathematical logic in Paris.  He will present work with
Metafont about rustic capitals:
  https://tug.org/tug2023/abstracts/sannier-rustic.txt

The 17th ConTeXt Meeting will take place in Sib\v{r}ina, Czech Republic,
Sept. 10-16, 2023: https://meeting.contextgarden.net/2023

I'd like to remind LaTeXnicians that the new (third) edition of The LaTeX
Companion can be pre-ordered, with a substantial discount, here:
  https://tug.org/l/tlc3
The physical books will ship May 15; the ebook versions will be
available later this year.

The first issue of TUGboat for 2023 is at the printer and should mail
soon. The second issue will be the conference proceedings, and then
another regular issue in the fall. We welcome submissions at any time:
  https://tug.org/TUGboat/

The software DVD collection is in preparation and should go the
manufacturer and mailing by the end of the month. The TeX Live and
MacTeX releases for 2023 are available for download now.
  https://tug.org/texlive/
  https://tug.org/mactex/
(By the way, the MacTeX web pages have been substantially rewritten and
simplified, thanks to the indefatigable Richard Koch, who also builds
the MacTeX binaries and distribution. Thanks Dick!)

In other interesting news, Bookplate Ink, an old friend of TUG, now
offers letterpress bookplates, https://www.bookplateink.com. This might
attract typography enthusiasts among us.

I would like to remind developers about our DevFund, where you can
apply for small grants to help to finance your TeX-related projects.
The application is fast and easy:
  https://tug.org/tc/devfund/application.html
The list of previous grantees over the years is here:
  https://tug.org/tc/devfund/grants.html

New packages on CTAN in April:
- cleveref-usedon, adds forward-referencing to cleveref;
- drawing-with-metapost, an extensive document on drawing technical
  diagrams with MetaPost;
- elteiktdk, TDK-thesis template for Hungarian TDK conferences, Section
  of Computer Science;
- gelasio, LaTeX support for the Gelasio family of fonts;
- lua-tinyyaml, a tiny YAML (subset) parser for pure Lua;
- osda, for the Proceedings of the Workshop on Open-Source Design
Automation;
- oststud, templates for the student organization at OST FH, Switzerland;
- playcards, a simple template for drawing playcards;
- quickreaction, a simple and fast way to typeset chemical reactions;
- texfindpkg, install TeX packages and their dependencies.

Happy TeXing!