[Tugindia] TeX and Malayalam poetry

Radhakrishnan CV cvr at sayahna.org
Thu Aug 22 09:47:59 CEST 2013

On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 12:03 PM,

Sebin Jacob <sebinajacob at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Sir,
>
> First of all, congratulations for the work. the tiddly version is
> aesthetically superior.

Thank you, Sebin.

> I have a few doubts. I am a n00b and don't take me wrong. Here it goes:
>
>    1. Are the fonts embedded in these three formats?

Only pdf version has the fonts embedded. But epub and tiddly do not have
fonts embedded since users can have their choice of fonts.

>    2. As you may be aware, epub will not work in a kindle which uses some
>    proprietary formats like .mobi and .azw Though pdf works there, the size

Sorry, I don't know how to generate formats like .mobi and .azw. My
efforts to find full specs of above formats didn't succeed. Also, I am vary
of trying formats which are not community supported unlike ePub.

>    difference between the breadth of the pdf and that of the kindle display
>    make it difficult to read if the pdf is of image format. I downloaded
> the

True, it is the disadvantage of PDF and that is why people are now
thinking beyond the pdf <http://www.force11.org/beyondthepdf2>. ePub
re-flows text depending on the dimensions of the viewer.

>    pdf you have provided and tried in my kindle. Its almost impossible to

Kindly try Adobe Reader or other pdf readers.

>    read. So my query is that, whether it is possible to provide a textual
> pdf
>    with font embedded, that works in kindle? Using textual format in pdf is

Sorry, can you tell me more about it?

>    possible for English. But they do not support Malayalam unicode fonts.
> Is
>    there a way to circumvent this limitation?
>    3. Can I get trained in using xetex for malayalam? I mean, is there any
>    facility likewise, available here? I stay in Thiruvananthapuram. Though

Not sure, if you can get trained in XeTeX in Trivandrum.

>    have xetex and kile installed in my system that runs a kde distro,
> chakra
>    gnu/linux, the compilation fails in rendering properly. How can it be
>    corrected?

But, you can use this list as a training ground. You can ask questions in
the list, there are many knowledgeable people around who can help you. By
the way, you need to subscribe to this list. It is a subscribers only list.
You might always care to send a minimum working example while raising
queries.

>    4. Can i have a look at the source file, you have created?

Will become part of Sayahna resources very soon.