[Tugindia] Suppressing Blank page before Bibliography

CV Radhakrishnan cvr at river-valley.org
Wed May 18 10:50:27 CEST 2011

On 05/18/2011 01:48 PM, Harish Kumar Holla wrote:
> It seems u r not using Bibtex. Try that. I is good and these problems will
> not come.
>
> On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 1:44 PM, Sameer <sameer.thahir at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Dear All,
>>
>> I am using LaTeX to prepare my seminar report. I am using BibTeX for
>> preparing the Bibliography. Please see the code snippet at
>> http://pastebin.com/JaGBHPh1 .
>>
>> The problem is a blank page comes before the Bibliography when the output
>> is produced. Can someone suggest me a simple way to suppress the blank page.
>> Also is there a way I can avoid the title Bibliography that comes before the
>> references.

Samir, in book class (which you're using), bibliography is defined as a
chapter without number. Hence, it will leave out a page if it does not
start in a odd page. What you might do is to redefine bib environment to
make it a section instead. Here is the relevant code which you might
copy before \begin{document} in your file:

\makeatletter
\newenvironment{thebibliography}[1]
     {\section*{\bibname}%
      \@mkboth{\MakeUppercase\bibname}{\MakeUppercase\bibname}%
      \list{\@biblabel{\@arabic\c at enumiv}}%
           {\settowidth\labelwidth{\@biblabel{#1}}%
            \leftmargin\labelwidth
            \advance\leftmargin\labelsep
            \@openbib at code
            \usecounter{enumiv}%
            \let\p at enumiv\@empty
            \renewcommand\theenumiv{\@arabic\c at enumiv}}%
      \sloppy
      \clubpenalty4000
      \@clubpenalty \clubpenalty
      \widowpenalty4000%
      \sfcode`\.\@m}
     {\def\@noitemerr
       {\@latex at warning{Empty `thebibliography' environment}}%
      \endlist}

\makeatother

Hope this will solve your problem.

Harish, frankly, I could not follow what you've written. Can you please
use standard English? You might consider the fact that the list is read
by many people like me who might find difficulties with your special
kind of acronyms and the archive will be read by many generations.

Best regards