[Tugindia] alt text for figures

Radhakrishnan CV cvr at river-valley.org
Mon May 3 12:59:58 CEST 2010

On 02-May-2010, at 6:47 PM, Roopakshi Pathania wrote:

> Ambika Vanchinathan <ambikav at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> When I checked the pdf in Acrobat
>> Pro--Advanced--Accessibility--Touch up reading
>> order--figure, I get "no
>> alternate text exists" on selecting a figure. Am I missing
>> something? Is there any
>> other way to check the alternative text given in the file?
>> Kindly suggest.
>
> I may be wrong, but it is my understanding that you can use the \caption{figure description without inserting the figure number} command to provide alt text.
> You can use the caption package to customize your captions.
> See the following link.
> http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/caption/

I am not sure, if you mean caption package can insert pdf literals as per the specifications in Section 10.8.2 of PDF Reference Manual 1.7 which is about alternate descriptions with /Alt entry. I could not find anything like that in the caption package, am I missing something?  The example 10.23 of PDF specification wants the following coding scheme (Page 943, Section 10.8, Accessibility Support):

/Span << /Lang (en-us) /Alt (six-point star) >> BDC (✡) Tj EMC

The macros which I had provided in my previous mail does exactly the same. But as Ambika had reported, it was not recognized by Acrobat Pro, unfortunately.